Guest Post by Amanda from Run to the Finish
When we hear oil, cooking is the first thing that comes to mind, but coconut oil is so much more. First let’s talk about the general benefits of using coconut oil. Coconut oil, according to Dr. Perricone, will make your skin look great and blast off some body fat. All right, I’m sold on blasting off fat, but here are a few more benefits:
- Improves digestion and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and amino acids.
- Supports the immune system, thyroid and nervous system.
- Naturally fights off viruses, bacteria and fungal overgrowth.
- Improves the absorption of calcium and magnesium.
- Helps the body use the essential fatty acids (omega-3, omega-6, omega-9) more efficiently.
Coconut Oil Outside the Kitchen
Cooking with coconut oil is easy and you will find a lot of great sites with tips on using it for stir fry or, as I do, in green smoothies. All of the good fats, oleic acid, linoleic acid, caprylic acid, palmitic acid and myristic acid in coconut oil make it perfect for adding moisture to your hair and promoting beautiful skin.
- Deep Conditioning: The proteins when applied to hair can help to repair damage. Some apply it directly to the scalp and massage, but as you might guess it will leave your hair oily so apply it sparingly.
- Condition and Style: For those with curly hair a very light dip of the fingers in coconut oil is perfect to then run along the ends of hair to fight frizz and make curls look healthy.
- Acne: The antimicrobial properties in coconut oil can help to clear up acne! Most people shy away from adding oil, but your skin natural needs oils and those same acids that make it good for your health make it great for the skin.
- Cracked Heals: Rubbing coconut oil on your heals in the evening and wearing socks to bed can help heal the dryness and cracks. Add essential oils like lavender to help promote sleep!
- Dry Skin: With the end of the winter months approaching and the weather changing you may be experiencing dry skin that coconut oil can relieve. Apply a small amount of oil to your skin right after showering. Within days you will see and feel the difference.
- Body Scrub: Coconut oil does wonders on balancing your skin as it protects against free radical damage and promotes your skin’s natural beauty. Hydrate and exfoliate your skin with a tropical homemade scrub!
- 1 Cup Sea Salt
- 1.5 Tbs. Coconut Oil
- 4 Tbs. Coconut Milk (to achieve desired consistency)
- 2 drops of essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Mix together Sea Salt, Coconut Oil & Coconut Milk in a large bowl.
- Add in additional coconut milk (by tablespoon) to achieve desired consistency, if needed.
- Mix well, separate into individual jars, and let sit for 30 min – 1 hour.
- Add essential oil drops.
With coconut oil remember that LESS is MORE. Start with less than a teaspoon for most of these applications until you know how your body will absorb the oil. You will be on your way to having beach-tastic beauty in no time by introducing coconut oil into your pampering routine.
Read more from Run to the Finish.
Have you used coconut oil for in your beauty routine? Share your results!
Photo 1 via