There is a lot of pressure, especially when you come to a certain age, for people to find a “significant other” in life, but it’s crucial to keep the most important relationship, the one you have with yourself, healthy! Spending time alone is a great way to recharge, reevaluate and relax yourself and everyone needs it now and then, so there’s no reason for you to get down on yourself if you’re planning on a single Valentine’s Day – AKA “Galentine’s” or “Single Awareness Day”.
“I’m ridin’ solo, I’m ridin’ solo, solo” – a wise man by the name of Jason DeRulo once said… Instead why don’t you try doing or taking part in any of these activities below any time you feel a little “antsy”.
1. Finish a project: Put off that DIY project for months? Accomplish something and get it done. It’ll be something to be proud of and show off to your friends and family whenever they come over.
2. Cook: Get creative! I know whenever I watch the Food Network, I get inspired to get into the kitchen immediately. I will never be as good as a professional chef but it’s fun to experiment with different food combinations and see what you come up with. Hey, maybe it can lead to a new career path.
3. Clean: No one likes to do it but it must be done. Having a clean place to live and breath is healthy! Get rid of the dust mites, open the windows and let some fresh air in. I guarantee it will make you feel better.
4. Indulge in a massage: Who wants to get a massage with other people anyways? It is a time for total relaxation. Get in touch with your inner zen, turn the phone off and get away even if its just for an hour or so.
5. Go for a walk: Become one with mother nature. Take a hike and venture out of your comfort zone. It’s nice to get lost for a little while….just bring a map with you.
6. Work out: Try a new work out class that you normally wouldn’t go to and let loose. Who cares if you embarrass yourself- you won’t know anybody anyways!
7. Travel: No reason arguing with someone about which restaurant, which museum or where to go. Make your own schedule! The world is your oyster…..literally. And how cool would it be to meet up with other solo travelers along the way? We’ve heard that traveling solo is the way to go.
8. See a movie: No one wants to go see the sappy Nicholas Sparks movie with you? No problem! Sit in the corner and cry all you want, no one is going to see you and you can enjoy every minute of it without the person next to you text messaging the whole time.
9. Binge watch a television show: Again, no need to argue with someone, especially over the remote. Netflix is the only T.V viewing partner you need. And isn’t this everyone’s guilty pleasure? Or is it just mine? Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Orange Is The New Black just to name a few you should try!
10. Shop: Lets be honest, no one wants to wait for you when you try on 30 pairs of jeans. Shopping alone allows you go to the stores you want for as long as you want without anyone pushing you to leave. And as much as your boyfriend says he wants to go with you…he doesn’t.
For more on Life & Love, check out our ideas here.
What’s your favorite thing to do by yourself?
Image via iStock