Cinco de Mayo can knock even the most committed dieter off track. The festive holiday was created to celebrate the Mexican army’s victory over the French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, but it has morphed into a day that features:
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Here are our tips for celebrating the foodie-focused holiday and not skipping the margarita altogether:
1. Before partaking in the festivities, grab a bite. Having a light meal or snack in your belly before heading to your outing will help you from mauling the buffet table. Your healthy beforehand bite will keep temptations at a minimum.
2. Steer clear of pre-made margarita mix. Although they are an easy way to enjoy a marg, they are full of high-fructose corn syrup, additives and a promised next-day hangover. Opt for homemade margarita recipes via our true love Pinterest. Or enjoy a margarita popsicle from Just a Taste! We think it is a great way to enjoy the flavors of the classic drink at a much slower pace.
3. Take on the dip bar with fresh veggies on hand. Vegetables make for a much healthier dipping tool than the traditional tortilla chips and you can still enjoy the fantastic flavors of chips and guacamole with a crunch.
4. Music is an important part of a Cinco de Mayo par-tay, so hit up the dance floor instead of the food table. Boogy all night long with maracas in hand. You will keep the focus off of the food and burn some major calories.
5. For dessert, nosh on fruit. We know some Mexican favorites come deep-fried with cinnamon and sugar but exotic Mexican fruits are the healthful, festive alternative. Plus, there is no doubt that Cinco de Mayo is a colorful holiday and this is a sure way to support that. Try this spicy fresh fruit cocktail or fruit tacos with chocolate tortillas. Fiesta in your mouth.
Don your sombrero with healthy flair, si?
What are your plans for Cinco de Mayo? How do you keep food-focused holidays healthy?
Feature image via