In remembrance of Academy Award nominated actor Michael Clarke Duncan who tragically passed away one year ago today, we’re rounding up our favorite quotes from him. At 6’5″, Duncan was known as a gentle giant and was loved by many. He’s most known for his famous role as John Coffey in The Green Mile, where he portrayed a gentle giant on death row. He also performed in several other hit motion pictures including The Whole Nine Yards, Sin City, and Daredevil. His distinctive deep voice was used in many popular animated films and television shows such as Kung Fu Panda, Family Guy, and Green Lantern. Besides acting, he also supported many non-profit organizations such as PETA and Sue Duncan Children Center, an organization that had helped him as a child. Before becoming an actor, Duncan was a celebrity body guard, working for A-listers like Will Smith, Jamie Fox, and The Notorious B.I.G.
Here are 5 fun, honest, and inspiring quotes in honor of acting legend Michael Clarke Duncan:
1. I always say YCDA: you can do anything. If you want to be a successful actor, you have to believe in yourself more than anything else, and don’t let anybody tell you that you cannot do it because you can.
2. The person that’s always talkin’, you don’t have to worry about that person. The person that, while you’re in his face, he’s just lookin’ at you with a smile on his face, that’s the guy you worry about.
3. Whatever God gave you, you have to work that to your best ability – especially out here in Hollywood, the land of beautiful people.
4. My mother told me years ago, “You’re gonna be an actor.” So I could not play football, I could not wrestle, I couldn’t do anything physical but play basketball. And I wasn’t really that good. I’d just kind of knock people around on the court, that was my little claim to fame.
5. People always have an opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s right, doesn’t mean it’s wrong, but we have to respect their opinion.