Today is National Pistachio Day and we couldn’t be more delighted if we tried.
Oftentimes, the pistachio is overlooked for more wildly popular and readily available nut options like peanuts (which are actually a legume), almonds or walnuts but pistachios have plenty of benefits. One bonus? They’re actually lower in calories than the aforementioned nuts, but are also filled with protein, fiber and healthy fats.
While it would be more than beneficial to snack on these for a midday snack on their own, we think incorporating them into some healthy dishes and treats are a great way to incorporate them into your diet. We all know how delicious pistachio flavored macarons or ice cream are, but did you know you can make these healthy, delicious concoctions yourself?
1. Kale and Pistachio Pesto via Jessica In The Kitchen
Challenge the traditional, cheesy pesto with this kale-pistachio recipe. Feel free to use it as a dip or mix it in with some zucchini noodles for a veggie-filled entree.
2. Banana Sushi via Fit Foodie Finds
If it’s a snack you’re antsing for, why not try whipping this up? Top a banana with chocolate, pistachios, and your favorite seeds (like chia). Chop, freeze and enjoy!
3. Lemon Quinoa Salad with Pistachio & Sun Dried Tomatoes via Cookin’ Canuck
While we love mixing quinoa with slivered almonds for added texture, pistachios make a great alternative, too.
4. Pistachio Sesame Seed Balls via The Healthy Family and Home
Feeling low energy? These bites can get you through any day.
5. Pistachio Baked Halibut via Skinny Mom
Forget breading and opt for this low-carb option instead.
6. Cranberry Pistachio Granola Bars via Table For Two Blog
Make your own granola bars at home so you know exactly what you’re getting at snack time.
7. Pistachio Hummus via The Healthy Maven
Change up your go-to snack and add pistachios to mix.
8. Pistachio Fudge via Lady Behind the Curtain
Anything in fudge form has to be good, right? We’re convinced.
9. Green Monster Detox Salad via Honey and Figs Kitchen
If it’s green, it’s gotta be good.
10. Salted Quinoa Chocolate Bark via Cooking Quinoa
Who doesn’t get chocolate cravings from time to time? Opt for this protein-packed bark that will satisfy you so much more than a Hershey’s bar.
11. Barley Salad with Kale, Pistachios & Feta via Eats Well With Others
This one is fairly simple but incredibly yummy. Plus, you can do this with any dish. Feeling like a savory dish needs a little crunch? Just top it with almonds!
12. Pistachio Stuffed Dates via Simple Provisions
Another great snack idea, stuffing dates with pistachio butter is pure genius (and delicious-ness).
For more Food features, check out our articles here.
Which pistachio recipes are you excited to try?